Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The truth of it is .....

Parades make me cry. Not the boo-hoo, blow your nose kind of cry, but the grab your sunglasses so no one will notice kind. There are a number of things that are guaranteed to send my ducts into overdrive -- stubbed toes, vomiting, babies, bad hair, puppies (ok, not really puppies) -- and parades push me a little too close to the edge due to multiple bawl-worthy factors... especially the 24th parade ...

1. Marathoners - People running make me cry. Not the Kenyan dashing across the finish line hours before the fastest white guy, but the lady who doesn't look all that great in spandex shorts but feels good running in them. Or the guy with the hairy chest wearing a fanny pack and white tank top, drenched in sweat, with a little bit of pudge around his waist (not Matt, the other guy). And if I'm really being honest, fit and trim marathoners who actually look like they've done it before make me cry too. I am a big sucker for moments of triumph.. for big accomplishments.

2. Patriotism - I have never really considered myself overly patriotic. I love the 4th of July and I love cars with USA bumper stickers, but I am not one to call my family to sunrise devotionals and flag raising ceremonies (I leave that to Gator... just kidding ... kind of). What I absolutely love is when the flag is carried down the center of the street. I love watching Gator teach Ella to take her bright pink hat off and hold it over her heart. I love the quietness that happens for the first and only time during the parade. And I love the respect people show to the soldiers of our country. Goodness, I'm getting a little misty now!

3. Horns - whatever bozo came up with those lame-ass horns that every white-trash adult and kid under the age of 8 has to have makes me want to cry.

4. Pioneers - Stories of hardship and sacrifice always pull at my darned little heartstrings. This year's parade pioneers didn't really do it for me -- maybe they weren't dirty enough, maybe their smiles were too big or maybe they had a little too much meat on their bones (I'm all for authenticity), I don't know. You should have seen me the year of the anniversary! I was a chin quivering, nose running boob!

5. Portable Potties - So far I have never had to use one during a parade ....mostly because the thought of using one makes me want to cry.

6. Bag Pipes - Not really sure why this strikes a cord but it does ... every time. Maybe I've got a little Scottish burr in me bones after all!

7. Giardia - The sight of Jake drinking water out of the gutter makes me cry.

8. Peter Pan theatrics - if anyone was at the parade this year, you know what I'm talking about. I cried for everyone who had to watch that!

Well, there it is. I've never admitted this to anyone. A little embarrassing but I can't help it -- it's affected me for years! Hope everyone had a great 24th!




Me and Jack. Jack couldn't make it to the parade on the 4th .... that made me cry too.


My sweet Ella was tuckered out by 9:30 am ... not so sweet after that.


Some of the group


Averi and Ella


Once again Matt got a great spot. Way to go!





3 comments:

Shorty said...

Don't for get needles...or the thought of having to get a shot!
B

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather and Eric said...

The last pic of Matt was a little scary... Maybe tell him to buy some shorts that don't 'show off the goods.'