Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Runnin on Empty


I have a phobia, a complex, an issue ... I have a hard time running with people. There, I've said it. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's the idea of them listening to me gasp for air, or maybe it's the pressure to maintain a conversation while I'm gasping for air, or maybe it's the flash images I get of them shoving me into oncoming traffic .... I don't know, but something about it makes me nervous. I recently thought it was time to break-through this fear and started running with some friends a couple times a week. I thought things were going to be all right until yesterday.

I should have know it was a day for disaster. I hadn't slept well, my allergies were flaring up, I hadn't been running for a week and my body was so confused by the tricky weather. Valerie and I kicked it into gear and immediately my mind started rolling .... "This sucks ...My legs are tired already.... I have to blow my nose ... Seriously? .. Do you think she's believe me if I told her my shoes were untied again? ..." Anyway, there is this section of Main Street in Kaysville that is basically a highway (you Kaysvillians know where I'm talking about). You don't ever want to get caught walking on this stretch because a million cars pass you and you look like a looser. And let's face it, I live in a small town where someone is bound to recognize you and that would be completely embarrassing. So, we're trotting along. Valerie is chirping away because she is not out of breath, her legs aren't tired and isn't even slightly breaking a sweat. I am wheezing and praying that she doesn't decide to shove me in front of the next car (she is not a violent person, just a little bit of that paranoia kicking in). We were 6 feet from getting off that blasted highway when it all unfolded ....

I tripped ... I fell ... I was pushed ... I don't know, but it was humiliating. I fell, I rolled and I grimaced. I remember my feet in the air. I remember the distance I bounced. I remember the feeling of rock on my knees ... my hands ... my back ... I remember cars whizzing by during the morning traffic. I remember praying that one of them didn't hit me. Mostly, I remember seeing Valerie's face, filled with pure gratitude that it wasn't her making a spectacle of herself in such a busy place. I waited for the stars to clear and we hobbled home.

Looking back on my years of running, my pride has never been this damaged. This is what happens when you run with people. You have witnesses. There is something to be said for solitary silence. For letting yourself boogie to the tunes on your i pod. For winding your way through sleepy neighborhood streets. For stopping to blow your nose (or "tie your shoe") any time you want. Having said that, I will be returning to the pack ... for the time being ... once I find my pride (maybe on the corner of Main and Burton?), and once my body heals, of course.

11 comments:

Kristy said...

I've been waiting soooo long for a new post from you and you never and I mean never ever disappoint Lacey!

I can so relate with you on this one. First running I know the fear. Valerie invited me to go running with the pack (probably looking for a new person to shove:)and I had to decline because I so don't want to make you all jealous with mad non existent running skills.

The invite really got me thinking so while jogging on my treadmill this morning I decided to time how long I could jog before I couldn't breathe and had to start walking - couldn't even hit 4 minutes. So if you want a jogging partner that can handle 4 min on and oh 4 off I'm totally the right fit.
At least you'd have someone gasping besides you and we can totally coordinate our untied shoe laces for maximum relief time.

BTW done the biffin thing too just not on Main street:? Look at it this way, you are so unique and it makes for a great post!

Valerie said...

Lacey I was laughing so hard tears were running down my face. I love reading your blog. I guess I better tell the truth, I did push you. I don't know what is wrong with me. Maybe I enjoy seeing other people in pain, maybe I can't stop my curiosity in see what would happen if... Now you know why I was having such a hard time finding and keeping a running partner.

Also while we are on the subject of truth I was out of breath too and my legs were tired. I am just to stubborn to ever call Uncle. Now that is the truth!!!!

sarahhicken said...

I can't believe. You always have so many adventures and for someone like me in the blah day to day. This is great!! I am sorry you fell but I was laughing so hard. Totally can feel your pain.

Jessica Potter said...

Yeah.. I totally seen you. But I wasn't going to say anything. I did get it on camera though and I have entered it into the "Most embarrasing moments of people's life's caught on camera" for the Fox Reality Channel.
I have told you that these are the types of things that happen when you exersize. Its really dangerous and just not good for you.

Ginny said...

YIKES! Thanks for the reminder of just one more reason I exercise alone, INSIDE my house, behind a closed door so not even my kids can see how red my face gets after only two minutes! Glad you are all ok...well, at least all but your pride! Thanks for the smile!

stephanie said...

I should have warned you...I think Valerie tried to push me more than once when we used to go running :)
Those pride injuries are the worst!

Anna said...

Um...I have a fear of running. Well, not so much of a fear as I'm just lazy.

The good thing about falling with people is that they can laugh with you. I know that doesn't sound like a consolation but once I fell down the stairs in a huge bus station in Prague and all the Czechs just looked at me with a straight face - not one smile or laugh. I would have liked to at least get a laugh or a smile as a trade for the hurt body and torn skirt.

Heather said...

You are so funny! I am on a quest to do absolutely nothing today (harder than it seems) and I came across your blog again - love it! I'll be sure to watch my back if I see Valerie out running on the city streets!

JoAnna said...

LOL! I'm sorry for your fall but it definitely made for a choice post! I refuse to run with other people. No one is as slow a runner as I am!!

Suzanne said...

Oh Lace, you are awesome! You have all the fun. I just joined a running group myself, and it's proving to be much more difficult than I thought. I think the only thing it's good for is getting my butt out of bed in the morning. But I hate trying to keep up, and I hate being left behind...I should have just stuck with not running.

Shorty said...

Running with people sucks. Unless you count an Ipod as a person I don't think I'll ever do it.

There's nothing better than being with your music and at your pace.