Sometimes I get crazy ideas. Sometimes I do weird things. Like when I started grinding my own wheat and baking my bread. Or the time I started whipping up my own butter blend because I liked how it looked in the containers in my fridge. Or that strawberry freezer jam sitting in my freezer, even though strawberry jam isn't a favorite at our house, just because I like the idea of having homemade jam in my freezer. Or that time I wanted to use cloth diapers because they're more natural .... ok, ok, that's totally a lie. I've never wanted to use cloth diapers and actually think people who do are a little fruity ...probably super nice, but come on. Really?Anyway, I have gone to my crazy place again. This time with laundry soap. I saw this recipe for homemade laundry soap and the idea of the stuff sitting in a fun container in my laundry room sent my wheels spinning. I made a batch and you know what? I actually love this stuff! It was super easy, a fraction of the cost and surpisingly cleans better than the other stuff. Really! No joke! So unlike my butter-blend, I think this stuff is going to be sticking around!
Here's what you need:
Box of Borax Natural Laundry Boost (this can be found in the laundry soap aisle)
Box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (baking soda will NOT work as a substitute)
1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap, a stain removing laundry soap (ANY bar of soap like Ivory, Dove, etc. will work, but this one has a little extra stain-fighting in it. I have filthy kids.)
1. Grate your bar of soap with a cheese grater. Dump this in your food processor or blender.
2. Measure out 1 cup Borax and 1 cup washing soda. Dump this in too.
Turn on your machine of choice and let it go until it turns into a nice, fine powder. Use 2 TB. for a full load of laundry.
There it is! My kitchen smelled deliciously clean after doing this! There is also a liquid detergent fomula using these same ingrededients but it seemed like a little too much work and a little too messy for me.
So call me crazy, call me weird. At least I have clean clothes!
Box of Borax Natural Laundry Boost (this can be found in the laundry soap aisle)
Box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (baking soda will NOT work as a substitute)
1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap, a stain removing laundry soap (ANY bar of soap like Ivory, Dove, etc. will work, but this one has a little extra stain-fighting in it. I have filthy kids.)
1. Grate your bar of soap with a cheese grater. Dump this in your food processor or blender.
2. Measure out 1 cup Borax and 1 cup washing soda. Dump this in too.
Turn on your machine of choice and let it go until it turns into a nice, fine powder. Use 2 TB. for a full load of laundry.
There it is! My kitchen smelled deliciously clean after doing this! There is also a liquid detergent fomula using these same ingrededients but it seemed like a little too much work and a little too messy for me.
So call me crazy, call me weird. At least I have clean clothes!

13 comments:
I saw the show 18 kids and counting and they made their own soap. I thought to myself... as soon as I get home, I'm going to try it out. Keep the recipe handy, cause as soon as I'm home I'm totally doing it. How much did you say it cost you to make? I'm so excited to try it....
That is fasinating. Only 2 Tablespoons?
Come on? Seriously? Only TWO TBS? Even on food spilled shirts?
Kari
From a fellow grind-ur-own-wheat-and-make-into-bread kind of gal: I am so doing this.
here's my question. won't it make my blender or food processor smell and taste soapy? that's what's stopping me from trying it.
ps. i need to try some of your jam and butter!
I am totally amazed and speechless! I would never think of doing this but it sounds amazing.
I will be all over this if you can squelch my similar concern over the residue in my kitchen appliances...love the idea!!!
You have way too much time on your hands. Come on over. I can give you a few things to do.
BTW. How much did it cost, and how much did it make? And, how long did it take to make? I am NOT in love with my laundry soap.
OK, I'm going to try this. I already have the Borax and Fels-Naptha upstairs. Thanks for posting the recipe!
You are so un-lazy it kills me. I'm sure that recipe doesn't take forever but when I see more then 2 ingredients or steps in the process I just want to take a nap. Good for you Lacey I hope your laundry out shines us all!
I saw this too, I am so glad you tried it now I have the guts to do it to!!
Where do you find the washing soda?
Ok I'm totally going to try it
Post a Comment