Thursday, April 23, 2009

If Your Happy and You Know It

Today, I'm happy. I'm happy other days too, but today is simple, clean, fresh happiness. My farmer tan has made it's yearly appearance. My windows are open. We have been outside non-stop for a week. My kids are filthy, smell like sunscreen and have slept delightfully well. I realized this winter that I'm a SAD sufferer (seasonal affective disorder). I haven't been properly diagnosed but anyone who saw, met or spoke to me this winter would probably back up my statement. I had a long, hard couple of months. This last week has been an absolute blessing. The temps are supposed to plummet this weekend but today, I'm thankful.

I love how running makes me feel and I love how it starts my day. I don't love running itself -- I used to, but I've lost it. This week has been hard. Pep talks occur nightly. Morning seems especially early. My legs are tired and my back has been hurting. However, after dragging my butt out of bed and getting my tired body outside, I'm usually glad I did. Over the last three days my morning jogs have been enjoyable. New music, good weather -- makes a difference!

This morning I didn't go running. It was such a great feeling to shut off my alarm last night! My kids slept through the night. I woke up all by myself. No alarm, no kid voices. They slept until 7:30. It was amazing!

I am starting a swimming class tonight. 5 weeks of rediscovering my stroke. Weird, I know, but I'm excited! I love swimming, I miss swimming, and there's nothing better than looking like an idiot with some friends!

We had Standards Night for YW last night. The speaker was a Principal from a local Jr. High who's a bishop (or was?) who also is fighting cancer. I totally could have ditched out but I'm glad I went. It was so nice to hear talk of respecting adults, being honest, acting your age and teenage cell phone abuse. Not sure if the youth heard a word of it (too busy texting!) but as an adult, it made me happy.

Dance is almost over! Ella is a darling dancer. She's good at it and she likes to do it. This year dance class has been a struggle. I think both of us need this year to be over and have a little time to regroup. I'll be glad when the recital is done and Ella (and me) get a break. Hopefully through the summer she remembers why she loves it. Today is just one more dance class down -- horrible, I know but it makes me happy.

Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

JoAnna said...

Ahhh... Great post. I'm so glad you are enjoying beautiful weather (for now). And you are an inspiration with the running. Thank you.
We don't do anything like dance classes or sports because it always turns into a battle... Maybe I should just bite the bullet and make them do it. Sigh... Parenting.

Kelli said...

Hey, I was seriously just thinking of us on Oakridges swim team. Good times and let me know how it goes. Maybe we can get our old relay team back together!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are on your way to a triathalon. (spelling)? All you need now is the biking and you've got it! Ask Blake if you can borrow his brand new one!!!