Quick! I need some book suggestions. I am leaving out of town on Monday and don't have a thing to read! I need a book I can get at the library, something that Oprah has not recommended (I can't do extremely depressing right now) and not something real popular -- I don't have time to be on the waiting list. I need it in my hot little hands by Saturday. Have I narrowed the options too much? What book do you love ... or liked ok? Any suggestions? Please????Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Suggestions .... Pronto!
Quick! I need some book suggestions. I am leaving out of town on Monday and don't have a thing to read! I need a book I can get at the library, something that Oprah has not recommended (I can't do extremely depressing right now) and not something real popular -- I don't have time to be on the waiting list. I need it in my hot little hands by Saturday. Have I narrowed the options too much? What book do you love ... or liked ok? Any suggestions? Please????
Posted by
Lacey
at
5:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Are you still doing our blogging book club? Anna's pick for next month looks good.
Since you've read all the books I love, I have no recs for you. BUT! Here's what I just did... I went to Amazon and found a book I loved (Glass Castle was my recent fav) and they have that section called "If you like this, you'll like this.." I searched those books and I'm excited about the possibilities. Try it!
Have you read the thorn birds yet? You totally should!! Great book.
Read any of the Sophie Kinsella Books. Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic and baby or any of those you will for sure be laughing. If you have seen the movie the book is much better and will have you laughing. I am pretty sure you can get this at the library. I think I have the other two in the series if there is a way I can get them to you before you leave let me know if you would like to use them......I can't remember the name of #2. I will get back to you. But the first one is Confessions of a Shopaholic.
Ok, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic ties the knot, Shopaholic takes Manhattan, Shopaholic and Sister etc. Those are the order, don't get the book from the movie on Confessions of a Shopaholic, get the pink cover one. That is the original. If you have questions get a hold of me and I will see what I can help you with. Have fun on your trip!!!
The last lecture by Randy Pausch- a quick, very uplifting read. I have it at my house, come pick it up!!
My recommendations aren't be very girly - no Shopaholic recommendations from me:
How about some classics you may not have read in a while yet are fairly breezy to read?
To Kill a Mockingbird
Jane Eyre
Catch 22
Charlotte's Web
The Canterbury Tales
The Old Man and the Sea
Or one of the kid books that are a bit of a crossover:
Holes
Coraline
I know, all 'man' books (except for Jane Eyre), but all page turners.
I was also going to recommend the shopaholic series, I am in the middle of them right now and they are pretty fun!
Vacation books are a totally different kind of book as far as I'm concerned. It has to be easy to pick up and put down. I just started reading the first book in the Fitzwilliam Darcy series - the Pride and Prejudice series told from Darcy's point of view. I can't vouch for it's literary loftiness but I think it would be a good vacation book.
I agree with your friend's suggestion of Holes too. Easy to find, fun to read.
Or, you could always go with Gone with the Wind. If you haven't read it - you should.
Post a Comment