I don't like to talk about myself. Ok, scratch that. I totally like to talk about myself. However, I don't like to brag about myself. Really, they are two totally different things. I promise. And if I'm really being honest, I don't think I usually give myself enough credit. Well not today, folks! If you don't want to hear me do a little boasting, exit now, because I can guarantee this thing is going to be dripping sap!
So I did a triathlon. Did you know that? If you've ever talked to me at all, you would know that. I've wanted to do one for a while, but I have a slight problem with anxiety, competition makes me puke, and running with others just about sends me over the edge. So what in the world would inspire me to sign-up for something that involves anxiety, competition and running (swimming, biking) with others?
Peer pressure. I've never been good with it. Someday I'll tell you about swallowing a living, breathing, swimming fish.
Some friends helped convince me it was a good idea. We found a race 12 weeks away, found an 11 week training schedule and we dragged our butts out of bed, 6 days a week. In case you've never talked to me, let me tell you -- it was exhausting!!
5 days before the race I found out I had a stress fracture in my right leg. I was told not to run on it, cried a little bit, and then asked what my other option was. Tape and pain meds became my new best friends. I iced all week, cried a little more, and gave myself a pep talk.
Saturday morning I picked up Steph (my other two triathlon friends ended up prego), and we got to the starting line ... 2 hours early ... I also have a complex with being on time. Fortunately, thanks to our early arrival, we got prime spots in the transition area. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain and absolutely freezing!
So, to make a really long story a little shorter, we started. The run was crappy and my leg hurt. But I did it. And honestly, I don't think I could have gone faster even if my leg was fine. I'm not that strong of a runner.
The bike was fun! I made up some time and other than a minor incident with horse poop and a train, it went a lot better than I expected.
The swimming. Ahh, the swimming. here it comes .... I'm a good swimmer. I've had a little training in this area and I knew swimming would be my best event. I ran down to the pool and I was excited. As I entered the pool area and quickly surveyed the scene, my excitement turned into bewilderment. It was a circus! People of all skills (and no skill) were everywhere doing who knows what! Now look, I'm not being mean (mostly). I don't care if people have to doggy paddle across the pool, as long as they stay to the correct side of the pool and not swim all crazy-like. It was a gauntlet. Flailing arms, smacking hands, kicking feet - pure craziness. But I faced the gauntlet and I liked it. A little jostling, a few wide elbows and an ankle pull here and there (all in self-defense, I assure you) was my added bonus. Totally worth the extra minute on my time!
I had a good day and I had great company. The weather turned out perfect and I had family and friends cheering me on. And you know what? I'm proud of myself. Cheesy, I know, but I can't help it. It was hard, the training was long, my body hurt and I faced my social-exercising fear. It has been an amazing experience.
A few unflattering pictures to share:
p.s. Xi Babes Rule!
Coming in from the run - I'm pretty sure I'm trying not to cry. By this point my leg was on FI-YAH!!
Ok, back to my bragging rights. Here is the play by play swimming portion. It was absolutely my favorite part! If you can't read the notes on the picture, you're lucky.
Can't wait for the next one!

13 comments:
Loved the swimming play by play!!! Congrats on an awesome race, hope I can be there for the next one.
Lacey you are amazing!!! I'm afraid I would drown in the pool if I ever attempted a triathelon, seriously. I would be the dingleberry you were elbowing out of the way! I'm so jealous that your training is over I need a break so bad I could cry, I am sooooo sick of running right now! One more month and I can retire, ha! Congrats again!!
Hello amazingness! I am so proud of you!
Way to go Lacey! That is so awesome! You SHOULD be proud of yourself! If I ever decide to do a triathlon, I'll need to get some tips from you, because swimming is my LEAST favorite thing to do. Nice work!
Lacey, you are my hero! Always have been, always will be.
Holy cow! You should totally brag about yourself when you accomplish something like this. You're amazing! Congrats...
You have every right to brag! It was awesome! Glad I was able to be a part of it.
This is so awesome Lace - You are my hero!
Oh my gosh I'm so impressed. I've always wanted to try one but I too am super competitive and don't know if I could take the pressure. Plus I suck as swimming. I loved your play by play about who you passed and who you elbowed. LOL. nicely done.
Booker, you are AMAZING! I get hives just thinking about exercise. Way to go, I can't wait to hear about your next one! P.S. Xi Babes DO rule!
Your commentary on the pictures is by far my favorite thing I've read today. And yes, you should brag. You're amazing.
Okay, remind me to never be photographed in a pool with you. I'm quite sure I'd be the dingleberry doing a backstroke on the wrong side of the pool!
Congratulations! You inspire me.
Post a Comment