Friday, October 3, 2008

Five for Friday

*If you are sick of hearing about my garden, skip #1!
1. Welcome to the Jungle -- Holy smokes, I have tomatoes coming out of my ears! I went to pick some tomatoes last Sunday and this is what I came up with. Since then, I have doubled the amount and there are more that haven't been picked. So what do I do with all these? I have already canned 3 batches of salsa and frozen 4 batches of spaghetti sauce. I'll be canning 2 more batches of salsa tonight -- what's left? Suggestions anyone? Sh na na na na na na na, please, please?

While I'm taking suggestions, anyone have a good green pepper recipe? Here's one of my pepper plants. There are 22 peppers on this one plant. I have 4 other plants. Yikes! That's a heck of a lot of peppers!

We've planted pumpkins for a couple of years and usually get a decent turnout. However, this year takes the cake. I planted 1 plant this year in what was supposed to be my flower garden and only because Ella saw the pumpkin picture at Home Depot. Turns out my flower garden has perfect growing conditions for watermelons and pumpkins. These are the pumpkins we picked yesterday ... there are 19 more on the vine. Looks like there's going to be a sale at the Gatherum Family Pumpkin Patch!

2. PETA. These people are crazy! There was a small incident here in Kaysville a couple of weeks ago .... and by small I mean something like 4 gazillion mink running loose over freeways and backyards (including mine!), scurrying through blazing buildings and gnawing toes off of small children (I heard they are carnivores. Is this true?). I'm all for treating animals nicely, feeding them yummy animal food and giving them lots of exercise (I once had an overweight dog. Sad situation.). People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals? Yes, let's burn down helpless animals' homes, turn them loose and let them get run over, starve to death or cornered by large, furry beasts (Thanks Wally! You're the best!). PETA! Seriously?


3. This week has been too blasted hot! For Pete's sake, it's October already! I am sweating and I am hot .... 85 doesn't work for me! Mr. Eubank promised cooler temps tomorrow. Let's keep our fingers crossed!



4. I've had a relapse. I'm weak ... and selfish ... and desperate! I'm absolutely not ready to give up my Crack.



5. Running. I've always loved running. There was a point not too long ago where I craved it. Since having Jack I've struggled. At first, I thought I just needed loose the baby weight and get back into the swing of things. Looks like that's not the case. I force myself out of bed and run ... and hate every minute of it! Wait, wait. That's a little strong. I don't hate it, I am just not enjoying it like I used to. I'm not sure what the problem is. Good news - cold weather is coming and when it's too cold, I don't run. Bad news - although I don't like it right now, running is my only source of exercise. So unless it's an extremely warm winter, I'm tweaked. I've got to come up with some cash so I can join the neighbors at the gym. How much can I charge for a pumpkin?

6. Bonus! Conference is this weekend! If I could have church at home every week, I'd be there more often!

9 comments:

Eric said...

Over-weight dog... oh the memories. PETA can stick it.

Brandy said...

When my kids hear Mo Tab start singing on Conference morning, they're all, "YESSSSSS!!!!"

I couldn't agree more, kids.

JoAnna said...

I LOVE Five for Fridays!!!!

Brook said...

I love your 5 for fridays. I'm with you on the whole PETA thing, and yes mink can and will bite your fingers off. Just ask my mom's aunt. She only has 4 1/2 fingers because of those little rascals...And for conference, be watching the Saturday afternoon session because some of our primary kids will be singing! Yah, conference!!!

Jessica Potter said...

I am insanely jealous of your garden.

sarahhicken said...

I thought my garden was doing good but yours blows mine away. How in the world do you get so much to grow. you should just open your own farmers market.

Heather and Eric said...

We will buy some pumpkins from you!! An d salsa for that matter!

Judy said...

I'll buy pumpkins and tomatoes from you!!! Do you still live a hundred miles away????

stephanie said...

PETA = crazy! Here is another one of their "good" ideas.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=333&sid=4363407